04 April 2012

No Excuses


I’m training for a 5k in early May, and know I need to add a few 3 and 4-mile runs into my program if I want to reach my goal of breaking 25 minutes.  Ugh!  I have a mental block about running further than 2 miles.  I don’t know why that extra mile seems like such a drain on my time and energy, but it does.

My husband/coach just shakes his head.  I know, it’s all in my head.  He advises me, “Just slow down.  Don’t go out at your tempo pace.  Go for a nice jog and enjoy the sunshine.”  

I had a few more excuses to avoid that 4 mile run, like my schedule is too tight this week.  It's too cold.  I have exercise-induced asthma, a condition that appeared after I had mono as a teenager, which makes running in cold air a labored and deliberate task.

Finally, yesterday I put on layers, found a mellow playlist and just jogged … for four miles.  It’s hard to stay disciplined and motivated day in and day out, so I found this motivational video to remind me.  Stop making excuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment